SPRINGFIELD – The Illinois Department of Veterans’ Affairs (IDVA) this week is swapping the schedules of two southwestern Illinois Veterans’ Service Offices located in Litchfield and Carlinville.
Beginning tomorrow (Feb. 28th), IDVA will open a full-time Veterans’ Service Office in Litchfield. This office will be located in the offices of the Illinois Department of Employment Security (IDES), 11006 Airport Trail Rd., Litchfield, IL 62056. Office hours will be maintained daily from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., except for the last Wednesday of each month. The phone number is (217) 324-2145.
IDVA’s Carlinville office will re-open on Wednesday, March 28th, and follow a new part-time schedule serving local veterans from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. on the last Wednesday of each month. This office will be located in the American Legion Post 554, 554 Ramey St., Carlinville, IL 62626. The phone number is (217) 854-2769.
Both offices will continue to be staffed by Veterans Service Officer (VSO) Kellie Cravens.
The Litchfield and Carlinville Veterans’ Service Offices are part of a statewide network that serves about 1.2 million veterans by increasing awareness of available state and federal benefits. Offices are staffed by VSOs who provide accurate, up-to-date information, answer questions, assist with paperwork and filing of claims for federal, state and local benefits completely free of charge.
Assistance provided by VSOs includes:
• Compensation Benefits and Document Assistance – Combat and service-related bonus payments and compensation, DD214 certificates.
• Survivor and Burial Benefits – Graves registration, grave markers.
• Educational Benefits – G.I. Bill, Troops to Teachers, Scholarships.
• Employment Benefits – Employment preference, Jobs for Vets program.
• Real Estate and Permits – Homestead and Disabled Veterans Standard Homestead exemptions, Adapted Housing exemptions, camping and admissions fees, hunting and fishing licenses.
• Referral Assistance – Facilitating access to federal VA health care and counseling services.
• Illinois Veterans Homes – Assist in applying for admission to one of four state-managed homes throughout Illinois.
For more information, please visit www.veterans.illinois.gov or call 1-800-437-9824.