SPRINGFIELD, Ill. - The Illinois Department of Agriculture invites fairgoers to Explore Illinois Agriculture in the department’s newly-designed tent in the Gate 2 Area sponsored by America’s Natural Gas Alliance.
Explore Illinois Agriculture will show consumers just how much agriculture impacts their daily lives in a fun, interactive setting. Exhibits, including flying pigs and spinning horses, are geared towards the entire family. In addition, the tent will host special events that change daily.
Special Event Dates:
• Aug. 10-12 – Illinois Products Food Show, 10 a.m. – 6 p.m. Come taste and purchase a variety of local products.
• Aug. 12 – Music by American Folk singer, The Chicago Farmer, from 2-5 p.m.
• Aug. 11, 14, 15 – America’s Natural Gas Alliance will hand out reusable water bottles and fans while supplies last.
• Aug. 14, 15 – Love American Chopper? Come see DeKalb’s 100th anniversary bike built by Paul Jr.
• Aug. 16-19 – Attention race car fans! Justin Allgaier’s #31 NASCAR will be on display courtesy of Brandt Racing.
• Everyday – A natural gas powered Ford Venchurs Pick-Up will be on display. Also, USDA-FSA will have staff members present to assist farmers with questions about emergency drought relief.
Many of the newly-designed elements inside the tent were developed by Millikin University’s Scenic Design Department in Decatur through the support of America’s Natural Gas Alliance.
“Educating consumers about the many aspects of Illinois Agriculture is our mission,” Acting Director of Agriculture Bob Flider said. “This new exhibit will help consumers understand that agriculture is truly everywhere, not just on rural farms and in grocery stores.”
Explore Illinois Agriculture is located in the Gate 2 area next to the Farmers Market Tent, where fairgoers can purchase Illinois sweet corn, watermelons and delicious apple cider slushies, as well as Farmer’s Little Helper and the Kid’s Ag-Tivity tent, where Mom and Dad can rest while their kids play!