Governor Announces Funding For Various Improvements At State Universities
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
January 20, 2000
SPRINGFIELD -- Governor George H. Ryan today announced the release of nearly $16 million in state bond funds to cover a variety of improvements at institutions of higher education across Illinois.
"It's no secret that education is the top priority of this administration," Ryan said. "Investing in the infrastructure of our colleges and universities ensures that our future leaders are provided with a modern environment in which to work and learn."
The majority of the funds were awarded as capital renewal fund lump sums and will be used by the individual institutions as necessary for remodeling, construction, roofing and site development projects.
The largest individual release, $8.1 million for Northeastern Illinois University, will be used to upgrade three campus facilities. Buildings A , B and E will undergo major renovations to provide additional classrooms and student services spaces. The project will include renovation of the buildings' mechanical systems and asbestos abatement.
Following are specific release amounts for the various capital renewal projects, along with a general description of the work which will be completed.
- $157,200 for the University of Illinois at Springfield: repair and upgrades at the Public Affairs Center and Brookens Library
- $2,885,700 for the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign: remodeling at Bevier and Mumford Halls, the Education Building, the Law Library, Noyes Laboratory, and the Materials Research Laboratory; mechanical systems upgrades at the English Building, Gregory Hall, and Loomis Laboratory; continued work to upgrade fire alarm systems at various buildings; and initial elevator upgrade work at the Agricultural Bioprocess Lab
- $544,800 for Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville: upgrading the electrical distribution system
- $1,433,800 for Southern Illinois University at Carbondale: ongoing Morris Library asbestos abatement; roof renovations at Shryock Auditorium, the Engineering Building and the Lesar Law Building; and structural repairs to the existing steam tunnel
- $625,200 for Western Illinois University: Library ventilation system repair; elevator upgrades for Simpkins and Stipes Halls; and replacement of heating plant switch gear
- $933,600 for Northern Illinois University: ventilation system repair at the Music Building and Nursing School; classroom remodeling at DuSable Hall; and exterior repair at Swen Parson and Davis Halls
- $834,200 for Illinois State University: roofing projects at Williams Hall and the Instructional Technology and Development Center; and renovation work at Felmley Hall
All funding is provided through the Capital Development Board (CDB). As the state's construction management agency, CDB will work with the various institutions to contract for the work and oversee the projects.
- $409,000 for Eastern Illinois University: Coleman Hall chiller replacement.