SPRINGFIELD – The Illinois Department of Human Services (IDHS) will take part in several special events this month to celebrate recovery and promote substance abuse treatment. Gov. Rod R. Blagojevich has proclaimed September Alcohol and other Drug Addiction Recovery Month. The theme of this year’s Recovery Month is “Join the Voices for Recovery: Build a Stronger, Healthier Community.”
“This year, we are joining treatment providers, community organizations, and other IDHS offices to provide informational activities at events throughout the month of September. We know that treatment works and our goal is to raise awareness and reduce the stigma around substance use disorders,” said IDHS Secretary Carol L. Adams, Ph.D.
Gov. Blagojevich has invested more than $200 million in treatment dollars this year to help thousands of Illinoisans begin their road to recovery and return to a normal, healthy and productive lives.
The DHS Division of Alcoholism and Substance Abuse funds a network of community-based agencies that provided treatment services for some 98,000 persons in Fiscal Year 2005.
This is the 17th annual Recovery Month. DHS will join with several substance abuse agencies, advocates and recovering persons to celebrate Recovery Month during a special public awareness event at the James R. Thompson Center on Tuesday, September 5. The event, hosted by Theodora Binion-Taylor, director of the Division of Alcoholism and Substance Abuse (DASA) begins at 10:00 a.m.
On September 20, at McFarland Mental Health Center in Springfield, IDHS and several Springfield area treatment agencies will hold a softball game and ice cream social with special activities to highlight Recovery Month.
The department will also feature displays and literature tables in the JRTC atrium September 13 through September 17.
DASA will also support and provide displays and literature at the following Recovery Month events:
- September 9 - Recovery Walk in Marion, sponsored by Franklin-Williamson Human Services 8:00 a.m.
- September 12 - Cook County Fantus Clinic 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- September 13 - Park Manor Family Community Resource Center, 1642 W. 59th St., Chicago 9:00 to 3:00 p.m.
- September 14 - Englewood Family Community Resource Center, 5323 S. Western, Chicago 9:00 to 3:00 p.m.
- September 16 - Danny Davis Town Hall meeting, Malcolm X College, 9:00 to 5:00 p.m.
- September 20 - Unity Day, Mt. Vernon Church 9:00 to 3:00 p.m.
- September 21 - Unity Day Good Hope Church, 7100 S. Union 9:00 to 3:00 p.m.
- September 23 - Danny Davis Walk for Recovery, Union Park 9:00 a.m.
- September 26 - IDHS, 401 South Clinton, Chicago
- September 30 - A Safe Haven Recovery Olympics, Horner Park, Chicago 9:00 a.m.
For more information visit www.recoverymonth.gov or call 1-800-662-help. In Illinois call 1-866-213-0548 for a referral to treatment services.