SPRINGFIELD, Ill. – The Illinois State Fair still is looking for volunteers to help in a number of areas throughout the 10 days of this year’s fair. These areas include information booths, various buildings and gates and at the Illinois State Fair Museum under the Grandstand.
“The Illinois State Fair is an exciting event that draws nearly three-quarters of a million people to the fairgrounds in Springfield each year. The men and women who donate their time to the fair are a big part of making this event a successful one,” State Fair Manager Amy Bliefnick said.
Volunteers are needed in the following areas:
• Information Booths: Staff the Illinois State Fair’s six information booths and assist fairgoers. The booths are conveniently located across from the north end of the Grandstand, on Main Street at the four-way stop, south of the pedestrian tunnel, at the three way stop near the Livestock Center at the end of Central Avenue, at Gate 2 at Peoria Road and Sangamon Avenue and near the entrance of the Main Gate. Shifts are from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. and 3:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
• Illinois State Fair Museum: Help set-up displays; 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. Aug. 3-9; Aug. 10-19, greet fairgoers and introduce the museum; 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. or 3:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
• Emmerson Building office assistant: Assist in the State Fair office; 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
• Floaters: Assist wherever needed throughout the fairgrounds.
• Exposition Building: Greet fairgoers and hand out daily schedules; 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. or 3:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
• Gates 1 and 2 (Sangamon Ave.): Greet fairgoers; 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. or 3:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
A minimum of 15 hours of service is desirable. However, additional hours may be requested. All volunteers will receive a free 2007 State Fair T-shirt, plus free admission and parking. Applications for volunteer employment can be obtained by calling the Special Events Office at 217-782-0777. A training workshop will be held Sunday, Aug. 5, at 1:00 p.m. for all applicants.
For additional information, please contact Dennis Morris at 217-782-0777. The Illinois State Fair runs Aug. 10-19.