SPRINGFIELD – This is the public’s chance to give input into improving the public health system in Illinois. Illinois Department of Public Health Director Dr. Damon T. Arnold is inviting health organizations, businesses, governments, community-based organizations, faith-based organizations, not-for-profit groups and the public in general to attend one of three hearings to offer input on updating the State Health Improvement Plan (SHIP). The SHIP is a long-term, strategic roadmap for improving the public health system and the health of Illinois’ residents. As required in Public Act 93-0975, the State Board of Health will hold three public hearings addressing the draft of the plan. The SHIP is presented to the governor for presentation to the General Assembly every four years.
May 7, 2010
10 a.m. – 1 p.m.
James R. Thompson Center, Room 2-025
100 W. Randolph
May 10, 2010
10 a.m. – 1 p.m.
Illinois Department of Natural Resources Building, Lake Level, Room A, B, & C
One Natural Resources Way
May 13, 2010
2 p.m. – 4 p.m.
Civic Center, Rooms 111/112
200 S. Illinois
The SHIP identifies areas that both government and private organizations can work on to help prevent disease and promote the overall health of the state. The draft plan being reviewed identifies the following strategic issues and outcomes:
Public Health System Priorities
1) Improve Access to Health Services
2) Enhance Data and Health Information Technology
3) Address Health Disparities and Social Determinants of Health
4) Measure, Manage, Improve and Sustain the Public Health System
5) Assure a Sufficient Workforce and Human Resources.
Priority Health Concerns:
1) Alcohol and Tobacco
2) Use of Illegal Drugs/Misuse of Legal Drugs
3) Mental Health
4) Natural and Built Environment
5) Obesity: Nutrition and Physical Activity
6) Oral Health
7) Unintentional Injury and Patient Safety
To see a draft of the new State Health Improvement Plan, log onto http://www.idph.state.il.us/ship/index.htm.
If you would like to attend one of the meetings or provide input:
• Oral testimony will be strictly limited to three minutes.
• Please bring two copies of your testimony if you will be speaking from written remarks.
• If you prefer to submit written testimony, send it to: DPH.MAILUS@Illinois.gov. Please put “2010 SHIP Testimony” in the subject line.
• The deadline for submitting written testimony is May 13, 2010.