SPRINGFIELD – In February the Illinois Liquor Control Commission (ILCC) conducted compliance checks around the state and visited 50 businesses licensed to sell liquor. They cited 12 licensees for violations of liquor control laws. Seventy-six percent of the licensees visited complied with Illinois liquor laws and refused to serve underage customers.
This report is a result of ongoing undercover and cooperative law enforcement operations conducted by Illinois Liquor Control Commission (ILCC) agents and local law enforcement officials and volunteers from high schools and colleges. The teams randomly visit liquor stores, restaurants and bars in communities around the state to check for ongoing compliance with state laws mandating that no liquor is sold to minors under the age of 21. ILCC agents also work with local and state law enforcement agents to focus on communities with a high incidence of underage liquor sales.
Alexander and Union Counties: On February 17, 2011, an ILCC Special Agent assisted by ISP District 19 conducted an Underage Compliance Check at 15 businesses in Alexander and Union Counties. The cities involved were Cairo, Olive Branch, McClure, Jonesboro, Anna and Cobden. Four of the targeted businesses failed. The licensees that failed were:
• Spirit House, 2401 Sycamore St., Cairo
• Ouida’s Horseshoe, 19950 East Side Drive, Olive Branch
• Bob’s Tavern, 122 E. Davie Street, Anna
• Jonesboro One Stop Convenience, 101 West Broad St., Jonesboro
Cook County: On Thursday, 2/24/11, IDOR LCC Specials Agents and the Cook County Sheriff’s Dept. conducted a joint UAC Detail in Southern Cook County. Of the 12 businesses checked, four sold alcohol to underage IDOR/LCC participants. They are as follows:
• Ol Girlz Sports Grill, 13649 S. Claire, Robbins
• Sala, 3426 W. 135th St., Robbins
• Marathon Gas, 4957 S. Central, Stickney
• Ozzie’s Food Store Liquor & Deli, 11158 W. Grand, Melrose Park
Effingham and Richland Counties: On February 24th, 2011 ILCC special agents and the Illinois State Police District # 12 conducted alcohol underage compliance checks in Richland and Effingham Counties. Of the eight licensees checked two sold alcohol to ILCC under age participants. Those licensees were:
• Bottle Hut of Noble, 153 W. North Ave., Noble.
• El Cactus Mexican Grill, 299 W. Main, Olney
Macon County: On February 9, 2011, an ILCC Special Agent assisted by the Macon County Sheriff’s Department conducted an Underage Compliance Check at 15 businesses in Decatur and Forsyth. Two of the targeted business failed. The licensees that failed were:
• University Service (2nd Offense) 1096 W Main, Decatur
• Decatur Food Mart 2215 N. Oakland, Decatur
For information about the disposition of cases resulting from previous compliance checks, please visit the Illinois Liquor Control Commission's website.