DUQUOIN –The Illinois Department of Veterans’ Affairs (IDVA) this Sunday (August 28th) will honor John Metzger, a Benton resident and United States Army veteran, as its August 2011 “Veteran of the Month” during a ceremony at the DuQuoin State Fair in DuQuoin, Ill.
“John Metzger served his country with honor in Vietnam, and he continues to serve by helping veterans through his work with the VFW and American Legion,” said IDVA Director Erica Borggren. “His efforts have made a tremendous impact in his southern Illinois community and beyond.”
The Illinois Veteran of the Month award is a distinction bestowed upon military veterans who give back to their communities and continue to serve other veterans. Metzger, 64, who served from 1968-1970 including a tour in Vietnam serving as a Chaplain’s Assistant, is being honored for his tireless work helping veterans and their families, as well as the families of deployed service members.
Metzger continues his advocacy for veterans and active duty service members by:
• Serving as Commander, VFW Post 2671 (since 1995), including All-State Commander (since 2009); VFW District 15 Commander (2003-2005); VFW District 15 Quartermaster (2005 to present); VFW District 15 Voice of Democracy Vice-Chairman (since 2001), where he organized the Student Patriotic Speech Contest; and, VFW District 15 Patriot Pen Chairman.
• Appointment as National Military Services Program Director of the VFW in Illinois (2004-present), where he worked to help provide support to deployed soldiers and their families.
• Organizing VFW Support and Membership Recruiting for the Illinois National Guard “Yellow Ribbon” events (2009-Present), which assists veterans in obtaining important benefits information.
• Serving as Post Adjutant/Chairman of the House Committee of the American Legion Post 280.
• Volunteering at the Marion VAMC Long-Term Care Facility and visiting with veterans at local nursing homes
• Organizing and participating in several fundraisers throughout the year to raise money for veterans and their families.
• Serving as a member of the VFW Honor Guard and is a vital member of the funeral team. Despite numerous commitments, Metzger always finds time to attend veterans’ funerals.
The “Veteran of the Month” award highlights the work of community organizers who are also military veterans. Each month the Department recognizes a different person or group that contributes to the betterment of communities across the state of Illinois. To nominate a “Veteran of the Month,” please visit IDVA’s website at veterans.illinois.gov to obtain a list of guidelines and a nomination form.