SPRINGFIELD – The Illinois Department of Veterans’ Affairs (IDVA) is announcing Kellie Cravens as the new Veterans Service Officer (VSO) for the agency’s Veterans Service Offices in Carlinville and Taylorville.
Ms. Cravens will divide her time between both offices on the following schedule:
9 a.m. - 4 p.m.
110 E Nicholas St
Carlinville, IL 62626
8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.
1100 Cheney Street
Taylorville, IL 62568
These facilities are part of a statewide network that serves more than 1.3 million veterans by increasing awareness of available state and federal benefits. Offices are staffed by VSOs who provide accurate, up-to-date information, answer questions, and assist with paperwork and filing of claims for federal, state and local benefits completely free of charge.
Assistance provided by VSOs includes:
• Compensation Benefits and Document Assistance – Combat and service-related bonus payments and compensation, DD214 certificates.
• Survivor and Burial Benefits – Graves registration, grave markers.
• Educational Benefits – G.I. Bill, Troops to Teachers, Scholarships.
• Employment Benefits – Employment preference, Jobs for Vets program.
• Real Estate and Permits – Homestead and Disabled Veterans Standard Homestead exemptions, Adapted Housing exemptions, camping and admissions fees, hunting and fishing licenses.
• Referral Assistance – Facilitating access to federal VA health care and counseling services.
• Illinois Veterans Homes – Assist in applying for admission to one of four state-managed homes throughout Illinois.
For more information, please visit www.veterans.illinois.gov or call 1-800-437-9824.